Tech Against Terrorism - OSINT Analyst
Our team is growing! We have an opportunity for an OSINT Analyst to join the Tech Against Terrorism team. Tech Against Terrorism supports the global technology sector in responding to terrorist use of the internet whilst respecting human rights. We focus on smaller tech platforms who might not have capacity or capability to respond to this threat without support.
We work closely with the United Nations, the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT), dozens of smaller tech platforms, democratic governments, and civil society. Our mission is to support smaller tech companies in tackling this threat whilst respecting human rights and to provide companies with practical tools to facilitate this process.
Tech Against Terrorism’s OSINT team works to track, analyse and disrupt terrorist and violent extremist exploitation across platforms. The OSINT team’s findings and analysis supports colleagues in our research and policy teams, and our intelligence output aims to inform effective and proportionate decision-making by our stakeholders.
The role will involve collecting, collating and analysing publicly available information at scale as well as drafting analytical reports. You will be responsible for conducting online investigations for a variety of our stakeholders including in the public and private sector, and IGOs. Please note that this role involves exposure to graphic and/or otherwise distressing content; specialist support and training will be provided. Depending on skills and experience the successful candidate may be taken on at junior, intermediate or senior level.
- At least two years of OSINT and SOCMINT experience
- Investigative mindset, excellent problem solving and conceptual thinking abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge around terrorist/violent extremist use of technology and the internet
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various online behaviours exhibited by hostile actors
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to analyse and describe complex findings
- Experience using well known OSINT and social media analysis tools and ability to describe advantages and disadvantages of each
- Experience of planning and conducting social media archiving and data management at scale
- Ability to find open-source information from a wide range of mainstream and niche social media sites
- Arabic, Urdu, Pashto, Somali, Russian, Portuguese or Spanish languages skills (working proficiency)
The following skills would be advantageous but are not essential:
- Proficient coding ability (R, python, SQL, etc)
- Relevant work experience (academia, government/military, risk consultancy, etc)
- Undergraduate or master’s degree in relevant subject (Security, War Studies, Intelligence, etc).