Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Lumen's Black Lotus Labs has an opening for a senior lead security engineer that will leverage Lumen’s unique visibility to hunt for evolving threats in unique Black Lotus Labs telemetry based on Lumen’s global backbone visibility and provide guidance on mitigations on large networks. Our distinctive data sets as well as our computing cluster present exciting opportunities to integrate outputs from machine learning models and fusion with OSINT as well as endpoint telemetry as we hunt for threats across the internet. Black Lotus Labs has detected and disrupted key evolving threats at an internet scale for years.
This position will work alongside data scientists, other security researchers, malware reverse engineers, and network engineers to tackle evolving threats accelerated by technologies like our Hadoop ecosystem (HBase, HDFS, Spark, Kafka, AirFlow), Elasticsearch and Redis clusters, Docker using Docker Swarm, malware environment, and a network of honeypots. This is a close-knit, experienced, amazingly smart team that you can be a part of and help build out.
**This is a primarily remote/work-from-home with 5-10% time spent onsite as needed – we’re looking for someone in Denver, Colorado or in the Washington DC/MD/VA area. This position will require a government clearance (Secret-level, Top Secret preferred).
The Main Responsibilities
- Research latest threat attacker tools, techniques and procedures (TTPs) with a goal of automating detection
- Analyze attacks and use forensic data and OSINT methods for investigation
- Works with cyber operators, when requested, to conduct indepth investigations on cyber incidence and provide mitigation guidance
- Apply strong knowledge of systems architecture and security as well as deep network and application protocol knowledge to analyze attacks and threat actor methodologies
- Automate investigations through Python scripting and data analysis in Grafana visualizations.
- Set priority of what threats to analyze and how long to spend on them to maximize the team's impact
- Build and maintain trust relationships with other intelligence teams, law enforcement, and other outside groups
- Support customer RFIs on incidents and emerging threats
- Prepare written threat briefings leveraging unique insights from Black Lotus Labs telemetry and open source reporting
- Contribute to deliverables and performance metrics w applicable
What We Look For in a Candidate:
Desired candidates will have a strong background exhibiting:
- Experience with tracking of threat actors as part of investigations and threat research efforts
- Experience using OSINT methods for investigation
- Experience analyzing network traffic data for anomalous or malicious content in Netflow data
- Deep knowledge of network-based threats and identifying behaviors without attack payloads
- Extensive experience hunting threat actors, and developing algorithms and techniques to identify new threats from large data sets
- Experience with building searches and visualizations/dashboard in Kibana and/or Grafana
- Scripting experience with Python and familiarity with distributed computing
- Ability to analyze large data sets and present conclusions drawn from them
- Strong analytical thinking and ability to quickly pick up new methods and tools
- Ability to work collaboratively with closely partnered internal and external teams to accomplish work
- User-level experience in a Unix-based environment
- Strong writing skills to assist in sharing our knowledge with the public
Must be a US Citizen and at least hold an active Department of Defense SECRET clearance to be considered for this position. Higher clearances may be able to be held and maintained in this position
Well-experienced candidates may also have the following skills:
- Previous work experience with the Department of Defense (DoD), Intelligence Community, or other government agencies (e.g. DHS, DOE, Veteran Affairs, etc.).
- Ability to provide the proactive status of assigned work and ability to estimate the level of effort for future work.
- Experience with Spark and distributed computing
- Knowledge of operating system architecture and security features
- Experience with operational security including, SOC, incident response, malware analysis, or IDS/IPS analysis
- Understanding of static or dynamic analysis of malware
- Ability to work with others in providing direction and assisting in learning new topics
- Functional knowledge of machine learning and how it can be applied to data sets
- Public speaking experience and a willingness to share technical topics in public forum
- TS or TS/SCI clearance
Requisition #: 310391
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min : 100440
Salary Max : 223680
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information . We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional and financial wellbeing.
Note: For union-represented postings, wage rates and ranges are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreement provisions.