The Security Specialist – Aviation & Maritime (CSS-A&M) is an integral member of the MedAire Aviation Security Centre. They will provide assessment, advice, coordination, and monitoring support to clients as part of a 24-7 global security operations capability.
The Security Specialist – A&M is responsible for the day-to-day delivery of high-quality written and verbal aviation and maritime security briefings on request to organizations in the aviation, commercial maritime, and luxury yachting sectors. The Security Specialist – A&M will provide aviation and maritime security advice to clients and will support the client and RSC situational awareness by monitoring, drafting alerts and escalating developing aviation and maritime-related security issues.
- Delivery of best-in-class bespoke verbal and written aviation and maritime security assessments to challenging multinational client bases operating in complex countries
- Collect, analyze, and disseminate security or disruption issues affecting crew and the aviation and maritime industry in line with guidance from regional and functional analysts, including monitoring key crisis escalation indicators
- Maintain continuous awareness of the regional, aviation, and maritime security environment through detailed research pertaining to the global aviation and maritime security environments
- Deliver training and consultancy tasks as required
- Travel as needed to support crisis situations and develop local aviation and maritime networks to further support clients
- Build thorough understanding of all current events affecting the aviation and maritime security environments and learn the approach to providing written and verbal travel advice and briefs to clients.
- To become fully conversant with and follow all systems and procedures. To attend regular training courses relating to the work of Aviation and Maritime Security and other wider security related training as agreed with line management.
- Updating proprietary briefs, assessments, and other content to include, but not limited to, maintenance and development of the A&M Content Management System (CMS)clients.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Interest in international affairs and the global security environment.
- In-depth analytical understanding of global political and security issues impacting the aviation and maritime security environment.
- Strong understanding of and ability to explain processes involved in flight operations and voyages to locations of varying security threat levels.
- Ability to source, validate and synthesize information from a wide range of sources, both online (OSINT) and network (HUMINT), and to engage as directed in the full intelligence cycle.
- Capacity to ‘think on your feet and remain resilient while finding ways to achieve objectives amid uncertainty and competing priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex situations to non-expert audiences and to write security briefs with appropriate concision and nuance.
- International experience (work and personal).
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office Suite and other applications.
- Willingness to work outside of normal duty hours, in support of team operations, particularly in times of crisis or emergency.
Desired Work Experience
- Proven experience in travel- or security-related field: military, public safety, government, NGO, human rights, journalism; or relevant academic studies
- Experience sourcing and assessing information from varied sources, briefing or writing to senior stakeholders successfully.
- Experience in the aviation sector, ideally in a security or flight planning capacity.
- Experience in the maritime sector.
- Experience in writing for senior management and business decision-makers
- Customer service/ client facing experience (for example, sales)
Additional Critical Qualities
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to learn and adapt to new procedures and operating protocols
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with colleagues from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to maintain high professional standards at all times
- Degree-level qualification in politics, international relations or related subject, or equivalent work experience.
- Post-graduate qualification in politics, international relations or related subject or equivalent work experience desirable
- Must be able to legally work in the United States and/or the UAE.
- Excellent English (spoken and written)
- Effective operational proficiency or advanced proficiency in another language (Arabic, Russian, Farsi, French, etc.) is desirable
- Flexible working hours and shift work are required including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Travel is dependent on business needs but should not exceed 10% of work hours.