Harris Williams & Co. - Senior Cyber Security Engineer
Within Harris Williams IT, The Senior Cyber Security Engineer will be an integral member of the IT security team, bringing depth, clarity and technical focus to our enterprise defense efforts. This role will partner across HW internal teams and our SOC to strengthen our security program and posture, and help accelerate our ability to protect, detect and respond.
Platform Engineering: Envision and execute a technical strategy for the Harris Williams threat management platform stack (event monitoring, detection, and response).
- Intel Management: Collaborate with cyber intelligence partners to assess and operationalize threat indicators into security toolsets.
- Visibility and Monitoring: Own and drive the onboarding, tuning and management of on prem and cloud event logs to HW’s centralized SIEM / SOAR platform. Build, test and enhance threat detection capabilities, ensuring a high rate of accuracy, fidelity and coverage for known and emerging threats and tactics.
- Incident Management: Use effective, repeatable incident management methods to identify, prioritize, and remediate security issues and alerts. Lead incident response efforts for HW Security, leveraging tailored playbooks to enable effective, timely resolution of alerts and incidents. Leverage expertise in security technologies, attacker tactics and protocols to rapidly assess, isolate and remediate events across the HW environment.
- Security Partnership Management: Ongoing ownership and evolution of our managed security service partnership, integrated incident response capability, playbooks, and analytic dashboards. Own and drive improvements in key performance indicators for detection and response.
- Environment Defense: Analyze opportunities for security coverage enhancements and build response process and automation. Protect and defend HW systems and resources, examining configurations and security of server, endpoint, mobile and application assets – on prem and cloud-based.
- Cyber Security Operations: Perform ongoing security operations to ensure system health, vulnerability management and version currency. Develop and maintain operational documentation, procedures, and configuration management. Assist and lead the execution of security projects / implementations as defined.
- High degree of professionalism, organization, proactivity and curiosity
- Passion for staying current on technology, trends and innovation, and a keen focus on ensuring an exceptional customer experience
- Ability to work across matrixed teams to effectively itemize, prioritize and deliver workload
- Relevant security administration and/or security certifications (CISSP, GSEC, OSCP, GISF, GCFE, GNFA)
- 5+ years’ experience (or combination of experience) in:
- Employing structured cyber security frameworks (ATT&CK, NIST CSF) to improve defensive capabilities
- Conducting cyber intel analysis using commonly available OSINT tools and techniques
- Inspection and analysis of system and security event logs
- Actively using endpoint security tools (CrowdStrike, MS Defender, TrendMicro, Carbon Black, Symantec SEP)
- Network security technologies, monitoring, and defense (NSM, IDS/IPS, packet analysis, network access control)
- Experience building, administering, and using enterprise SIEM and SOAR platforms (Splunk, MS Sentinel)
- Evaluating and securing third party and IaaS / PaaS / SaaS commercial offerings
- Working with application, transport, and network infrastructure protocols (SSL/TLS, DNS, DHCP, WINS, NTP, FTP, HTTP, SMTP, CIFS, LDAP, and Microsoft AD) and their relationship to user applications
In order to be considered, you must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
This description reflects the core activities of the role but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties within the group/department may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time.
Analytical Thinking – Knowledge of techniques and tools that promote effective analysis and the ability to determine the root cause of organizational problems and create alternative solutions that resolve the problems in the best interest of the business.
Effective Communications – Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
Information Security Management – Knowledge of and the ability to manage the processes, tools, techniques and practices for assuring adherence to standards associated with accessing, altering and protecting organizational data.
Information Security Technologies – Knowledge of technologies and technology-based solutions dealing with information security issues.
IT Environment – Knowledge of an organization's IT purposes, activities and standards; ability to create an effective IT environment for business operations.
IT Standards, Procedures & Policies – Knowledge of and the ability to utilize a variety of administrative skill sets and technical knowledge to manage organizational IT policies, standards, and procedures.
Knowledge of Organization – Knowledge of the organization's vision, structure, culture, philosophy, operating principles, values, and code of ethics; ability to apply this understanding appropriately to diverse situations.
Problem Solving – Knowledge of approaches, tools, techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational, operational or process problems; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Roles at this level typically require a university / college degree. Higher level education such as a Masters degree, PhD, or certifications is desirable. Industry relevant experience is typically 8+ years. Specific certifications are often required. In lieu of a degree, a comparable combination of education and experience (including military service) may be considered.
Additional Job Description
PNC offers employees a comprehensive range of benefits to help meet your needs now and in the future. Depending on your eligibility, options for full-time employees include medical/prescription drug coverage (with a Health Savings Account feature); dental and vision options; employee and spouse/child life insurance; short- and long-term disability protection; maternity and parental leave; paid holidays, vacation days and occasional absence time; 401(k), pension and stock purchase plans; dependent care reimbursement account; back-up child/elder care; adoption assistance; educational assistance and a robust wellness program with financial incentives. To learn more about these and other programs, including benefits for part-time employees, visit pncbenefits.com